Event 1 Blog
Ann McCoy Art & Alchemy
Ann McCoy was an extremely insightful speaker who has had a very interesting life that give her a unique perspective as to the interaction between art, science, and alchemy. Ann had issues with substances and ended up getting sober during her time at UCLA. This also happened to me so I relate quite a bit to the experiences that Ann had which led to her career and life. It was incredibly interesting to me to see and hear about how she changed her experiences and dreams into actual works of art allowing her to process her life through an artistic medium. I have currently been having issues finding an outlet for emotional expression that actually works and applies to my life. It is amazing to see someone who has successfully moved past the period I have been stuck in recently and led a successful life. I would highly recommend listening to Ann or viewing her artwork. It was a fantastic experience and I am very happy I decided to attend. Ann seems to be able to think and use cognition in a manner that leads to great connectivity between her physical and spiritual sides. Ann McCoy is an extremely inspiring woman and I would love to converse with her one on one at some point in the future. Ann's connection to her spirituality is a major inspiration for me because of her past with substances and her time in recovery. I would love to be able to find an outlet the way she has. It would be amazing to be able to use art as a form of personal expression but it would also take a whole lot of work at this point in my life. I have started to experiment with music as a form of relaxation and I believe that will be a more plausible route for me to take.
https://annmccoy.com/wp-content/uploads/3-300x450.jpg
https://ydn-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/mcCoy_Photo-courtesy-of-Ann-McCoy-copy.jpg
Image Sources:
Liu, Pheobe. “McCoy Receives Guggenheim Fellowship.” Yale News, 24 Apr. 2019, https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2019/04/24/mccoy-receives-guggenheim-fellowship/. Accessed 23 May 2022.
McCoy, Ann. “Ann McCoy.” BG Gallery, https://santamonica.bgartdealings.com/bg_artistgallery/ann-mccoy/. Accessed 23 May 2022.
References:
McCoy, Ann. Ann McCoy. New York: ACA Contemporary, 1988. Print.
Five Artists, Five Faiths : Spirituality in Contemporary Art. Chapel Hill, N.C: Ackland Art Museum, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2004. Print.
Speck, Bruce W., Sherry L. Hoppe, and Sherry L. (Sherry Lee) Hoppe. Searching for Spirituality in Higher Education / Edited by Bruce W. Speck & Sherry L. Hoppe. New York: Peter Lang, 2007. Print.



Comments
Post a Comment